CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

A little more empathy!

Okay this is weird. I went to give blood on Monday (July 21st). The gal that was taking my pulse asked if I have an irregular pulse. Taken by surprise, I answered "no". She took it again and then had another gal come for a 2nd opinion. She thought my pulse was normal. So a third opinion was called over. She said that it was irregular. I was sent away without giving blood and what is more I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to give blood without a doctor's permission. When I got home, I called my doctor and got an appointment for Tuesday (July 22nd). The doctor checked my pulse and did an EKG which were normal, but she said that it's better to be safe than sorry, so she referred me to a cardiologist. The funny thing was that the cardiologist called me back that same day and made an appointment for the next day (July 23rd). (So quick!) I went in yesterday and had a heart holter moniter put on me. I go back today (July 24th) around 11:00 a.m. to get it taken off. I have a follow up appointment in a couple of weeks to find out the result.

Ken is on his 8th round of chemo with 4 left to go. His hemoglobin has stablized, so he won't need a blood transfusion. His blood sugar is still elevated and he still needs to look into that. It is hard to find more time off work for Dr. visits. He is plugging along. He is definitely getting more worn down and ready to feel more normal, but he complains very little and still helps a lot.

So the irony of all this is that I am better understanding how "unfun" it is to wear medical equipment all day and all night. Don't shower. Be careful of dangling cords. Don't damage the equipment . Where to put the equipment while using the restroom. Be sure and sleep on your back. Itchy tape, etc. We call Ken's pump the ball and chain. I get it a little better. I am anxious for noon to come because then I will be free! The part that I still don't get: having chemo pumped in my body and the side effects, the noise that the pump makes each time the chemo goes in, 2 days without a shower instead of one. etc. My equipment is just gathering data.
Ken's is killing cells.

So this experience has given me one more reason to celebrate my husband's courage. He is definitely a hero to me.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

After all of that explination he is more of a hero to me too. I did not realize all of the every day ways of life like showering, etc. that were disrupted by all of this!! We love you so much!!

Tom and Ann Perry Family said...

Wow I can't believe what all is happening in your family. I will try to give you a call to see what the cardioligist said. Glad to hear that Ken's hemoglobin was up.
We love you all.
ANN

Michelle said...

I think Uncle Ken is a hero to me too! Chemo is such a hard thing to take mentally and then physically draining too! You too Jeanine are my hero too. You show me that if you can be so strong through such difficult times then I should stop complaining about such diddley things going on in mine. Your family is such a great example of the true meaning of a LOVING FAMILY. I pray for your family and I hope everything is ok with your dr appt. Let us know.

collette said...

Wow... just one more thing. Hang in there! I hope it's nothing serious. We love you guys.

Darren and Nikki said...

I hope everything went okay with your doctor's visit and I hope Ken is doing well. He is over the hump! 4 more treatments left. Your family is in our prayers.

Love,

Nikki and Darren

Cheryl said...

Ya know when people are married for a long time they start looking like each other? LOL...you guys even having matching equipment!! haha

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that.

Seriously, though, I am amazed at how you guys keep pluggin' away through whatever adversity comes your way.

Rachel said...

Wow...who is your cardiologist? If you need the name of a good one or wonder about the one you are currently seeing let me know. I work with them all the time and can let you know who is good and who is not! Keep up the positive attitude! Your family is amazing!
Rachel