CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

The PORT



Don't let this first photo fool you. He wasn't nearly so relaxed as he appears here.



Ken got his port implanted on Wednesday, April 2nd. We went to the hospital at 11:00a.m., but we had to wait until 1:00p.m. before they actually did the procedure because Ken had forgotten to fast for 6 hours prior to the procedure. He was trying to be brave but his wiggling foot was the true indication of his nervousness. The radiologist that performed the procedure asked if Ken was nervous. With a positive response he replied, "I could tell by his foot." He was through by 2:00p.m. I quickly went to see that he was alright and then rushed home to be with Brycen. Ken was released at 4:00p.m. He was definitely very uncomfortable and wasn't moving very fluidly when I picked him up. His neck was sore where they had made the smaller incision to help with the insertion of the catheter and also where the port was inserted near his collar bone.

This procedure was more difficult than either Ken or I were expecting. I guess we thought it would be more like his colonoscopy which was easy afterwards, once the sedation wore off. Ken went to work on the next day, but he was having a hard time moving, especially turning his head. (His movements reminded me of Frankenstein's monster.) Today he seems to be doing much better. He can lay on his side and seems to be turning his head quite normally.

3 comments:

Tom and Ann Perry Family said...

Thanks for the update and also the added pictures. Nice thing for the boys to get a haircut together!! Sorry to hear that the port procedure was tough, but glad to hear that Ken is doing better. Take care! Love you all. Ann and family

Melanie said...

Glad the port placement is over with! It doesn't look or sound fun at all. Good to hear he's feeling a bit better though.

dwarfbro said...

Your brave bro. I would said "no thanks" and left. They would have had to put me in a papoose and then I would have definitely passed out. I wish I could do more, but I am going to shave my head this evening in support and donate the hair to "locks of love" in your name. Come on Nathan, Ivan, and maybe Julie(its in for girls to be bald now!), join me!

Love you and Melanie and I have you in our prayers and thoughts. Good luck tommorrow.